A Pillow Book

I wanted a blog to reflect my life and, as with most people, I do and am many things, decided to create a Pillow Book. It will have thoughts, ideas, observations and little snippets of my day to day life. So, thank you Empress Consort Teishi....... I bow to you and your great work and hope, in some small way, mine might be great too.

Monday 5 September 2011

Sublime music...............

 


There is a piece of music that I have, for many years, loved.  It is not a piece to be hummed along to, or have playing in the background, it needs your time. A few minutes concentration to really listen,  allowing its beauty to lap over you like  waves from a lazy sea.  The piece I am referring to is Spiegel im Spiegel (Mirror in the Mirror) by the Estonian composer Arvo Part. The simplicity of the score belies the great skill needed to perform it.  Originally written for piano and violin, there have been other variations, but the original is my preferred version, surely it is the sound the composer had in his heart when composing?

Last Saturday it was the subject of a Radio 4 programme called Soul Music.  http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b0137vv2
This series takes a piece of music and various people share their memories, emotions and thoughts, the previous week had been Wichita Line Man. Personal favourites from the archives include Simple Gifts, and Bach's Goldberg Variations. Popular and classical music all have their turn and each programme is a delight.  This weeks,  however, proved to be amongst the best. Stories of loss, delight, misery and a happy ending. Particularly poignant was artist Mary Hustead's tale of her son, given up for adoption many years before, finding her through one of her exhibitions partly inspired by Spiegel im Spiegel.
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-wales-11124004 ( follow this link to a recent article)



I am sure that most of us have  music or songs that have heartfelt meaning to us, take a little time in your day to listen to Soul Music and know that you are not alone.

2 comments:

  1. Sorry it's taken me so long to respond to your question! First I was going to respond to you via e-mail, but your address wasn't attached to your comment, so I couldn't. Then I had plans to do a post on my blog about it, but haven't gotten around to it yet. So I'll just comment here. :)

    Stevia is an herb that is naturally sweet. Sometimes people use the whole leaf, but most often it is used in a white powder extract form. It is very concentrated and too much can make things bitter and give it a strange taste. Hope that helps!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Catherine,

    thank you for your reply, interesting, I have never heard of it. Will have to see if I can find it here in the UK.

    Andrea x

    ReplyDelete