A Pillow Book

I wanted a blog to reflect my life and, as with most people, I do and am many things, decided to create a Pillow Book. It will have thoughts, ideas, observations and little snippets of my day to day life. So, thank you Empress Consort Teishi....... I bow to you and your great work and hope, in some small way, mine might be great too.

Thursday 18 August 2011

My boy is leaving home.....

Well, after months of waiting and worrying, and a totally sleepless night and a very early morning, an hour of much trauma, we got there,  my son Nathan got his place an University!! Not quite sure how it happened, as his grades weren't quite what they needed to be but somehow, call it luck, much prayer, or that it was just 'meant'  he is University bound!  After the initial euphoria and feeling proud enough to burst, the house buzzing and him going off with friends to celebrate, the enormity hit. My little boy is leaving home..... I know they come back but it is never quite the same.  The thing is I love my son....now I know that we all love our children, but I love the way he has about him.  He is funny, smart, thoughtful and the kindest boy you will ever meet. Not to say we haven't had our moments. The police calling me to collect him from the beach (cider confiscated), but he was caught because he stayed with  a girl who had passed out. Or the time I called him to check he was at his friend's house. Hearing very loud traffic noise in the background, "What is that?" I asked  "Oh the windows open." said Nat, "Close it." said I,"I can't." said Nat. I KNEW he was soemwhere he shouldn't be, doing something he shouldn't be .....and in the morning on collecting him and driving him silently home, on arriving at the house he jumped out onto the drive and vomits Cheerios EVERYWHERE....."Bad milk." said Nat, "Get the hose"said I.......... 

  I can recall his first days at school, just 4 years and 2 weeks old, so grumpy on the walk home, falling asleep eating his lunch and wanting a cuddle and a story before it was time to go back to collect his big sister. Being cross  as I had no lap, I was very pregnant with the new baby.  One of his favourite stories was 'Love You Forever.' In it the mum sings 'I'll love you for always, I'll love you forever, as long as I'm living my baby you'll be'. Now, he loved it because the baby threw his granny's watch down the toilet and he had a messy room....and then his own flat...but every night when he was asleep the baby/boy's/man's mum would go into his room and sing him the song (even taking a bus across town). Now I promise not to be quite that mad, but I will, as I do now, even though he will be far far away, think of him and Jess and check in on Milly before I go to sleep....because as long as you're living my babies you'll be.




So, to my quiet house.....and thoughts of fostering...adoption.....a B&B, foreign students here for Christmas...... at least I still have Milly....when she is not on a horse that it!



Nat has asked for recipes from my book (my own recipe book, details in a blog sometime)...he can already cook chili well, and spaghetti, but macaroni cheese is one  he is not too sure of. So for you Nat:-


Madre's student recipe for mac and cheese.....

Ingredients
Dried pasta shapes (use a dinner plate or serving bowl to measure 2 portions by eye)
Bacon (as much as you desire)
Cheese (at least a mug full) mixture or what you have, grated
2 tablespoons of plain flour
2 tablespoons of butter (measure flour first otherwise the flour will stick to the spoon) I know you won't have real butter like me, so use the spread that is in the fridge!
1 pint milk (use a pint glass...yes the one you stole from the Uni bar!)
Salt and pepper to taste
Set oven to 180deg
Butter a cooking dish...


Chop up the bacon and fry until it is how you like it.Or grill it, or put it on a baking sheet in the oven. Set aside.
Cook pasta as per instructions on packet, remember to leave it 'al dente'
Make cheese sauce as follows, warm milk in microwave. Place butter in a saucepan, melt over a med heat, add flour and stir well for a couple of minutes. Gradually add the milk, I use a whisk to do this as it is easier to combine, stir, stir, stir, until you have a glossy sauce of sauce consistency..... Stir in the cheese, add salt and pepper to taste (go easy on the salt as the bacon and cheese may be salty). Add the pasta, and bacon, place in the dish sprinkle with a little more grated cheese, bread crumbs (like you will have breadcrumbs, he he) cook until browned on top, not too long or it will dry out....serve....with, what is that stuff you like?....Oh yes, ketchup!!


Enjoy!!


2 comments:

  1. They return...and it does get better. But if you think this is the end of life as you know it I can vouch that the trip ahead for you personally, and you all collectively, will still be good. Well done to Nathan!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I know, new experiences for us all, but it is always hard when they go x

    ReplyDelete