A Pillow Book

I wanted a blog to reflect my life and, as with most people, I do and am many things, decided to create a Pillow Book. It will have thoughts, ideas, observations and little snippets of my day to day life. So, thank you Empress Consort Teishi....... I bow to you and your great work and hope, in some small way, mine might be great too.

Tuesday 4 September 2012

Hugs for free....

I first came across 'Free Hugs' at Camp Bestival this summer, two delightful young girls stood on the main thoroughfare with a sign that said 'Free Hugs'. I watched from the side as they merrily dispensed hugs to anyone that wanted one and some that clearly did not. But  few could resist and I stood smiling, thinking it was one of those quirky festival things, such as everyone calling for 'Alan and Steve' on the way back to their tents. But no, it seems that 'Free Hugs' are a global phenomena. Started by an Australian, Juan Mann, it is a story of extremes, not always happy but in the end I feel that people power has overcome adversity and 'Free Hugs' are here to stay. Hugging is a delightful pastime, I have had, for many years, a printout on the noticeboard in my kitchen, predating Mr Mann by some time, I don't know where it came from but I have read it often:-
A HUG
feels good
dispels loneliness
overcomes fears
builds self esteem
slows down ageing, huggers stay younger longer
eases tension
fights insomnia
keeps arms and shoulder muscles in condition
is democratic, anyone is eligible for a hug
is portable
affirms physical being
is energy efficient, saves heat
makes impossible days possible
makes happy days happier
makes you feel good all day

I am lucky enough to work in a huggy environment, and have children that when home hug me daily. Nothing is nicer than being held close for a very long time. I might add to the above that it also soothes the soul...There is no excuse, hug someone now, go on they are free!

No comments:

Post a Comment