A Pillow Book

I wanted a blog to reflect my life and, as with most people, I do and am many things, decided to create a Pillow Book. It will have thoughts, ideas, observations and little snippets of my day to day life. So, thank you Empress Consort Teishi....... I bow to you and your great work and hope, in some small way, mine might be great too.

Sunday 22 April 2012

Rose Petal Jam

I am half Polish, it is maybe more than half because Polish blood is very strong and it courses through your veins at speed. It defines who you are and how you think, even if you don't wish it to. But I have no problem with this, in fact I embrace it.  My father provided this heritage and it is the greatest sadness of my life that I never visited Poland with him, in fact I have never been to Poland, each year her call gets stronger and I know it can't be long before I venture to the land of my ancestors.

The book pictured above was a gift from my children for Christmas, it is one of the nicest books I own. The very fabric of the book is a delight and has been a companion of mine daily since I unwrapped it on Christmas morning! It is a travel journal as well as a recipe book.  The author left Poland for Australia as a child and this book records her return one summer many, many years later with her husband. It is full of photos, snippets of poetry and many facts.  The recipes are those of my childhood and brought back to me so many memories, happy and sad.  I hope to one day use this as my travel journal, alongside a blank book ready to fill with my own writing.




Apple Pancakes

The sweet apples and soft batter of these Polish Apple Pancakes (pronounced "Platski") are guaranteed to impress family and friends!
  • Serves: 2

Ingredients:

  • 2 medium green apples, washed, peeled, cored and thinly sliced into rings
  • Juice 1/2 a small lemon
  • 2 tablespoons maple syrup
  • 1 1/3 cups plain flour
  • 1 tablespoon icing sugar
  • Generous pinch of salt
  • 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
  • 1 egg
  • 1 cup of milk
  • 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
  • Oil, for frying
  • Icing sugar and thickened cream, to serve

Method:

  1. Gently place apple rings in a bowl and add lemon juice and maple syrup, ensuring that no slice is left untouched. Place in the fridge.
  2. Sift flour into a bowl and add the icing sugar, salt and cinnamon. In a smaller bowl, lightly whisk the egg, milk and oil.
  3. Add the egg, milk and oil to the dry ingredients and stir vigorously until smooth and no lumps remain.
  4. Heat oil in a medium fry pan. Place a slice of apple in the batter (see Notes**), and use a large spoon to scoop into pan with some batter. Fry each side until golden brown and repeat with each slice.
  5. Sprinkle with icing sugar and serve with cream if desired.


    In memory of my dad Chez, it would have been your birthday this week, I miss you every day. x




No comments:

Post a Comment